Monday 10 March 2014

Psych Ward

You will sleep forever, you will never sleep again,
He said, making it sound simple.
I chewed a thumbtack, I gouged my face
I wept into a thimble.

'When you were born,
Something was sworn
That should never be repeated.
And if you do, we can't help your selves: they'll surely be defeated.'

I swallowed half a yard of spit
But took no opinion on it.
For fathoms deep I'd mislaid sleep,
And sensed I must agree.

'Don't worry we'll find a fortress new:
Slumped on sand and sodden through:
Seeping sores no more in pain; no feeling, no emotion,
Your body dumb, day and night, in neverending motion.'

I swallowed hard, I took the pill
I felt the silence, I heard the chill.
And as I disappeared into my self,
I lost my riches but earned my wealth.

The copyright of this post belongs to Ben Hargreaves

No comments:

Post a Comment